Sunday, September 09, 2007

i wanna be an ironman!

So Mary and I decided to go cheer on the finishers during the last 2 hours of the race (that being up to hour 17). The winner finished in just under 9 hours! I have to say, that watching people coming in was SO inspiring! It was just so emotional...I was tearing up a little here and there seeing how happy and proud everyone was. The last one to finish (in the allotted time anyway) was a 78 yr old guy, and pretty much everybody during those hours was a normal person. Some even had beer guts. I came home and looked into registering for '08, but it's already full. Mad City Marathon, here I come!

I just think it's so awesome to see so many people who are pushing their bodies and having healthy habits. You could see their sense of accomplishment in their faces, and to me, competing against yourself, against the pain, and perhaps against all reason is so much more noble than competing against other people. (Obviously, the one's finishing within the first 10 hours were competing against each other...) I guess that these individual fitnessy sports are the ones I can get super enthusiastic about... :) Let's see your average baseball player or offensive lineman swim 2.4, bike 112, and run 26.2!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home