Saturday, November 05, 2005

Ah yes, I will in fact become the crazy cat lady

Well, at school my blog seems to be blocked. They have all these restrictions to what the students can look at, so anything with blog in the title is filtered out. Consequently, I have to go to an internet cafe in order to work on it all. In the last month, I've really become accustomed to life in Paimpol. For the most part, I feel like a local. If I'm walking through town, and pass a cafe where people are sitting outside, it's nearly inevitable that someone I know sees me and says hello. I've never lived in a town quite as small as this, but in general I like it. One of the first few weekends I was here, my neighbor, Patricia (who also works at the high school) invited me to l'Ile de Brehat with her and her husband and 2 other parent aged couples. L'ile de Brehat is an island about 5 miles from Paimpol that is comparable to Macinac Island. It's not quite as touristy, but there's a little town area, and then you can hike around the island. We hiked out to a lighthouse, where they recounted the following legend: Beneath the lighthouse, there is a giant rock shaped a little bit like a heart. Young unmarried women must throw a small rock down at said big rock, and the number of times it bounces before falling into the sea (or onto another rock) is the number of years before the young women in question gets married. I tried my best to avoid the whole thing, but they all insisted that it would be fun, and talked me into picking out a rock to throw. Much to the dismay of my eager crowd, the rock I threw smashed into a million pieces upon landing on the heart shaped one. Much laughter ensued as to the possible connotations of such a bad omen, and they made me throw another one, which only bounced once. (but probably only the first one counted) Anyway, it was a beautiful day, and we walked for most of the day. All in all, a wonderful day trip. There are pictures on my yahoo photo album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home